One of the most common ways the back is injured is through improper lifting. This occurs just as easily at home as it can on the job. When lifting is done properly and in a safe manner, the risk of injury to the lower back is diminished.
Before you lift you should always, STOP, LOOK, LISTEN and THINK. Don't just randomly grab and lift without the 3 P's .....Proper Prior Preparation. Let's look at "How Not to Lift."
OK ...so what is wrong with this picture?
- Knees locked and legs straight
- Item being lifted is away from the body
- Back is bent forward and center of gravity is in front of the body
- Arms are away from the body
- About to raise up and lift with the back, not the legs
THIS IS A RECEPIE FOR DISASTER, A LOW BACK INJURY WAIING TO HAPPEN
Let's take a look at how to properly lift...
OK... so what is right with this picture?
- Individual about to lift is aware, thinking and preparing for the lift.
- Individual lifting is up close to the item being lifted.
- Individual lifting has knees bent and back straight and has lowered her center of gravity as close to the item being lifted as is possible.
- Individual lifting has a firm grasp of the item, has her hands inside of the knees and has the item pulled up close to her body.
- Individual lifting is looking forward, keeping back straight and protected and is also aware of the surrounding environment.
- Individual lifting just raised her body with the use of her and LEGS not her BACK.
- Individual lifting has elbows slightly bent, and is pulling the item toward her body with elbows/arms close in to the sides of her body.
- Individual lifting is upright, back straight, with item pulled close in to body.
- Individual lifting is looking around at the surrounding environment to avoid tripping or stumbling on an unforeseen object.
Click here to print these tips as a PDF
REMEMBER... Proper Prior Preparation Prevents Poor Performance. Before lifting always STOP, LOOK, LISTEN, and THINK before you lift...
IF IT LOOKS LIKE A TWO MAN JOB, IT IS A TWO MAN JOB....GET HELP!
If you, or a loved one, are experiencing pain contact our office to schedule a free NO obligation consultation with the doctor or email Dr. Garber with a question concerning your case for a quick response. Garber Chiropractic Care Center 770-386-7707
Chiropractic Care and Pain Relief for Cartersville, Acworth, Taylorsville, White and Euharlee GA.